Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Psychology of setting goals

In case you haven't figured it out yet, most of the stuff I write about in my blog comes from articles that I read about cycling that really make me think. Today, there was another good article by Josh Horowitz of Liquid Fitness about psychology and setting goals.

The part I found most applicable to me is the part about positive self talk. I think most people who know me think I am a positive person, especially when it comes to cycling. That doesn't mean that I don't have issues with negative self talk. I am a poor climber; I just am. That is my personal belief. Does it have to be that way? No, but if I don't believe I can improve, then it won't happen. This is something I need to work on. Same thing goes for winning a race. If you don't believe you can win it, then you most likely won't. There are exceptions to that one. I won a race once when I thought I was chasing down a one man break with pack in tow in the last lap of crit. I caught the breakaway guy and kept going fully expecting to get passed. I didn't believe it until I crossed the line. A teammate of mine won a race this past year in a downpour. He attacked halfway through the last lap because he didn't want to be around anyone going through the last turn which was an off-camber turn. When he crossed the finish line, he wasn't even sure he had won. But I digress...

Positive self talk does work!! Sure, you feel goofy doing it, but if it works, aren't you willing to look a little silly in order to improve your cycling or any other part of your life?

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=5533&status=True

Enjoy the article.

No comments: