Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Finding Time to Workout

Do you have trouble finding time to workout this time of year? I know, the holidays, kids activities, work, etc. keep you really busy, but that is no excuse to not finding the time to workout. It is a matter of time management and prioritization. Here are a few suggestions:
  • Do you watch a lot of TV? If so, substitute a bike ride for TV watching or watch TV while riding your trainer.
  • Is work 15 miles or less away? Consider commuting to work by bike a few days a week. It will take a bit to learn (clean up, routes, clothes, etc.), but once you do, you will wonder why you hadn't done it before.
  • Do you spend a lot of time on the internet? Get on the trainer!!
  • Schedule your ride time into your day and don't miss your appointment.
  • What else in your daily routine is less important than you health and fitness?

The bottom line is that it is up to you to prioritize the important things in your life. So, if you think you are too busy to get on the bike, reevaluate. I bet that there is time during the day to at least get on your trainer for 30 minutes. Remember, cycling is a sport of momentum; the more you ride, the more you WILL ride.

Lastly, if you are working toward goals for next year, then it is imperative that you start your training for next year NOW. Don't wait. I am speaking from experience of doing it both ways. Last winter, I didn't workout much at all and I wasn't as good as I should have been come summer. I was kicking myself the whole year, not to mention, my confidence wasn't there. If you start now, you will be impressing your riding buddies come spring and you will have the confidence to have your best year ever on the bike!! Good luck in your training.

No comments: