Sunday, January 10, 2010

"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

I heard this quote a few weeks ago and it really made me think about what is important to me.  I know that I want to be in better shape for racing my bike this summer, so why do I find it difficult to fit my workouts into my busy day?  Why do I find it easier to make bad diet choices rather than better ones?

It all comes down to focusing on the present vs. focusing on the future benefits of my decisions.  I realized that I need to remember how much better exercise makes me feel and how much more fun group rides are during the summer when I am in better shape.

I have been a member of LeannessLifestyle.com and one of the things that they say is very important in realizing one's goals is to have a very strong "why" and reviewing it often.  I always knew that a good "why" statement was important, but I now realize that it is extremely important.  The more realize what is important to you and review it, the more likely you are to make better decisions to reach your goals, no matter what they are.

Does this mean that one won't have set backs and make bad decisions?  No, but it gives one a better chance of making a better decision more often.

How is this affecting my life?  I am making better diet decision more often; not all the time, but more often.  Still a work in progress.  Also, I am exercising more.  I need to do more and more consistently, but it is progress.

Good luck to everyone else in making better decisions in 2010. I am going to get on my bike/trainer right now!

No comments: