Sunday, January 24, 2010

Neti Pot



As I promised, here is the solution to your problem if you have sinus issues.  If you told me 5 years ago that I would be proponent of pouring water in one nostril so that it could come out the other one, I would have though you were nuts.  I think I am like a lot of people.  I have allergies and at various times during the fall and winter, I am prone to having sinus infections.  I did like most people...  I would try to take care of myself and if the sinus infection got too bad, I went to the doctor and got antibiotics.  Most of the time, I would be able to get rid of the problem with decongestant, antihistamine and lots of water, but more and more of the time, I needed antibiotics to get rid of the infection.  Or at least I thought I did.

A couple of years ago, I became aware of the neti pot and thought it would help, but I couldn't bring myself to try it.  Then a friend of mine kept nagging me to try it.  She kept telling me that it would really helped and how much it had helped her.  She was kind of out there with alternative medicine, so I really started to doubt it a bit.  But I finally relented and tried it.  I committed to using it to attempt to rid myself of a minor sinus infections and it worked.  I was sold from that time on.

It takes a little practice to get it right.  You need to have the correct head tilt.  Too far one way, the water runs down your throat, too far another and it runs into your ear and worst of all, if you tilt your head too far forward, the water runs into the sinus cavities.  You DON'T want that.  It only took me a couple of times to figure it out and I only put my head too far forward ONCE.

Give it a try.  You won't regret it.

No comments: